Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Recent interview with eBookmall

Interview with Randi M. Sherman

How much do you have in common with Paula?

Although Paula is a bit more trusting that I was, she shares traits with a younger version of me, both resigned to a prescribed life until we learned we could do or be anything we wanted. It just takes bravery with a little naivete sprinkled on top. I am taller than Paula.

When you were little did you ever imagine being an author when you grew up?

Never. I dreamed of being a famous actress or maybe a cowgirl, or a ballerina or a nurse, but never an author. Being a writer seemed to be too much like having homework ALL of the time.

Would you go back to being a stand-up comedian if you knew you could make a lot of money doing it?

Yes, but only if I could change my name to Ellen DeGeneres. Making a lot of money and being good at your job are two completely different things – just look at congress.
Although going back to stand-up comedy is not currently on my to-do list, I will never say never. And, given the circumstances I’d probably do anything if I could make a lot of money doing it. Please don’t tell my mother.

Name a book that you'd be embarrassed to be seen reading.

I’d probably be embarrassed if I was standing on a street corner somewhere, looking at street signs and referring to a tour book for another city.

Do you ever write while intoxicated?

I have poured myself a glass of wine at the end of the day but truthfully, I simply lose interest in writing at that point. I’d chose crackers and cheese with my cocktail over spellcheck any day.

Did you ever read a book and then wish you had all that time back?

Not really – If I don’t like a book, I put it down. Life is too short to be bored on purpose.

What was the book that most influenced your life and why?

Surprisingly enough the book was Real Moments by Barbara De Angelis. I guess I read it more than twenty years ago. The idea of living for the moment and not worrying about the past or what may or may not happen, simply allows us to enjoy things for what they are.

What was the biggest challenge you had to overcome when writing Paula Takes a Risk?

The biggest challenge was taking that final step to publish and release Paula Takes A Risk. I love all of my characters, and releasing them into the world, making them vulnerable to criticism was one hardest and possibly the bravest things I have ever done. When I sent them off, I wanted to tell them to hold hands as they crossed the street.

Are you working on any new books now?

I am, I am about 80% done with a new humor novel – it has a fabulous twist. I am so excited about it. The publisher will have to be very daring.

I also have other outlines waiting in the wings.

If you could be any character in fiction, who would you be?

Wonder Woman, she was smart, beautiful, had an invisible airplane and she looked good wearing boots with a bathing suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment